Joanna Campbell Slan has moved, searching new blog...

Sunday, February 24, 2013

You're Going to Love 'Beachcomber Art'

Being an author means, you constantly question yourself. "Is this the right idea? Or should I have chosen another topic?" There's no way to tell if you are working on something really cool...or if you picked a lemon. And your confidence suffers accordingly.

I'd had a bad, sad couple of days where my doubts got the better of me, when the Universe decided to send me a sign. A detour on the highway took me right past Debbie Brookes' charming shop
 "Beachcomber Art,"

http://beachcomberart.com/

I walked through the front door, took one look at the kitchsy mermaid with her shell bodice, and told Debbie, "I'm in love!"



Debbie's art is EXACTLY the sort of work that I had envisioned for my new heroine.



"I use nature's timeless elements to create art that reaffirms beauty and individuality," she says. Here she is next to an old screen door that she re-purposed by adding a mirror and a cross-section of seashells.


She started with decorative boxes for her friends. See the two above? Note the amazing cluster of shells on top.


And moved to a variety of home decor items, such as this chest, mirror and the candlesticks.



Along the way, her sense of whimsy played into her pieces, as with her fish. (Be sure to click on the photos so you can see them as larger images.)



Her light fixtures are simply divine, especially this one with seaglass.

Now my heroine will also do work that's much more simple. I plan for her to share projects that anyone can tackle at home. In addition, she'll be an avid DIY (Do It Yourself) type that loves to hunt for flea market bargains and turn them into treasures. In fact, that's the name of my new series: The Trash to Treasure Mystery Series. It's about a woman whose life is trashed, but who turns "lemons into lemonade" and winds up creating treasures.

I'd love to hear your feedback!



19 comments:

C said...

Oh Joanna it sounds fabulous, with so much potential to be as amazing as Kiki, Jane, and Grace. Write and brainstorm. away. If you need a beta at any time, I'm ready. I have confidence in you and in your work.
pax,

Candi

Unknown said...

I'm in love with this shop too. I NEED that chandelier for above my tub in the master bath! And the new Trash to Treasure series sounds like another keeper to me. I just love your ladies...they could all be the girl next door who is much more interesting than me and fun to live vicariously through their adventures. Keep on writing!

Dana said...

Love this idea. As I was reading the first part of your post I was thinking more trash to treasure and not just beach stuff. Very timely as a lot of people are repurposing items.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful idea! Can't wait!

Barbara T. said...

Sounds like a winner to me. I am a crafter with aspirations of being an artist or at least creative and individual. Loving all the hobby cozies, even when it is one in which I do not participate. Keep writing, I'll keep reading.

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

Candi, I know I can always count on you!

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

Judy, I agree about the chandelier. Isn't it divine? And yes, you've captured the essence of my heroines.

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

Dana, there will also be a LOT of repurposing and reuse of things. I always think of "recycle" and picture the bins of stuff to be melted down, but my heroine will "recycle" in other ways.

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Anonymous!

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

Barbara, I'm thinking that my protag will have to use ALL the crafts in her work--needlearts, papercrafts, painting, and so on.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like something really special and topical. I just steered my hubby into buying me a super craft book, you might use a few ideas from that if you can get hold of it. I will email/message you the name, author and ISBN.

My mind is already trying to choose a name for your main girl. lol

I was thinking of a name which means treasure/precious or similar.
If you need a listening ear or a sounding block you know where I am.
x x Suzy P

Lori A. said...

I love this idea! It sounds like another great character that many will be able to relate to on a deeper level even if they aren't a crafter. I've come to your books via my love of scrapbooking and now I will follow you into whichever direction you may take me. However, I can tell that we share many of the same interests because I love to pick up cheap finds and repurpose/alter them, too. I think us crafters find more than one way to be crafty in and we are always looking for new ideas and techniques to try. I can't wait to read this new series. Keep us posted on how it's coming. It sounds like you are already off to a wonderful start!

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

Suzy, love to know the title of the craft book. Sounds like one I should own!

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

Lori, I think this series will also appeal to those who like to dabble in decor, but who don't necessarily consider themselves "crafty."

Goaty said...

Hi Joanna, back to the book I mentioned.

Title: Art + Life Combined

Author: Linda Peterson

Published by: Cico Books. London. New York

ISBN: 987-1-908170-91-0

www.cicobooks.com

Description: 35 mixed media projects to inspire your inner artist.

U.K. £12.99
Canada 21.95 (dollars)
U.S.A. 26.95 (dollars)

keys1998@gmail.com said...

Sounds like another great idea. Can't wait to read it. I'm sure it will be as big a hit as Kiki. Let me know if you need a beta reader.

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

Suzy, am ordering it ASAP! Thanks so much.

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

Yifat, I know I can always count on you!

Michelle said...

That sounds HUGELY fun! I just finished Wave Good-Bye and I've been wondering what I'm going to do with myself after I read the next Jane Eye book and the next Kiki Lowenstein book...