Joanna Campbell Slan has moved, searching new blog...

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

It's Hump Day!

When I worked in a cubicle, this was my favorite day of the week! (Next to Friday, that is.) I also breathed a little easier knowing the majority of the week, and nasty Monday, was behind me. Back then, I worked faster than my boss did, so I often found myself with nothing to do. It wasn't like I didn't ask for chores. I did. But often, I sat at my desk and twiddled my thumbs.




When I got REALLY bored, inevitably, I also became sleepy. I would wait as long as possible to go to the ladies room. There I would fall asleep on the toilet with my head resting on the toilet paper roll. I never slept very long, because as I relaxed I would sink a little. And a little more. And when my tushy hit the water, I'd wake up with a start--and go back to work.



The other day my sister complained that I was working around the clock. I explained that when you are an author, you are essentially self-employed, and you work the hours you need to work, regardless of the day or the week or the length or your workday. That's fine by me. I'd rather be busy. But it can be frustrating to work from home because your neighbors and family rely on nine-to-five hours. My work life is anything but nine-to-five.



So here's to HUMP Day. I'm wishing you flowers, happiness, and fulfilling work--because that's what really makes the hours fly by!

No comments: