Joanna Campbell Slan has moved, searching new blog...

Thursday, January 17, 2013

When My Grandmother Shot My Grandfather

Yep. It happened like this...

Granddaddy had served in WWII, and like many servicemen, he brought home his pistol. He must have kept it loaded and lying around the house, because one night when my mother came home from a date, she found the police there...

Seems that my grandmother had accused my grandfather of cheating on her.

The argument grew heated.

She picked up the gun and shot him.

I think her aim was off, because she got him in the leg. Knowing her, she probably aimed higher. Oh, about 24 inches higher.

True story.

Granddaddy and "Gar gar" (my grandmother) on their honeymoon.
Keep it in mind the next time someone tries to tell you that we're all safer with guns in our home. Some of us might be, but not all of us are.

4 comments:

Jennwhite said...

Funny story (fortunately not a tragic one, though might have been!). A gun in the home is much more likely to kill someone who is living or visiting there than kill an intruder. Yet people insist they need them for protection? Crazy.

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

Yep, Jenn. It could have been a lot worse!

Laura Payne said...

OK. My grandmother shot a hole in the kitchen floor and covered it with a rug. We, on the other hand, have at least 1 gun in most rooms of our home. My husband carries a pocket pistol every where it is legal to carry one. He has one in both his trucks. I guess I'm just used to guns. I'd rather be pointing one than looking at one!

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

Wow. That's a lot of firepower!