Joanna Campbell Slan has moved, searching new blog...

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Living a Deeply Satisfying Life

Took a quiz on BlogThings, and "discovered" this:

Your Life is Deeply Satisfying

You live a satisfying life even when it's not easy. You are dedicated to being happy.You make sure to what you're passionate about. You don't waste any moments.You surround yourself with people you cherish. There is a lot of love in your life.You are thankful for everything you have. You don't take anything for granted.


It's really true. Going through all my old journals, I discovered how often I tried to start writing a book and didn't get very far. Now I'm working on something new, something challenging, and each time I hit a really, really painful point in my life, I just turn my mind to the story I'm working on.

So last night when I found out my mother's cancer has spread to her lymph nodes, I thought about plotting.

Over the weekend, when a couple came to view our house (which is for sale), I thought about my characters.

This morning when I learned another wrinkle in our ongoing plans to move, I hurried downstairs to move ahead on dialogue.

Writing is my therapy and my solace. I live in the here and now, but my books provide me with a welcome escape. I work hard so they do the same for others.

I remember Tess Gerritsen saying how important it is for writers to put emotion in their work. I think of things I've read, like a book I'm struggling through now. Very erudite. Very witty. Not a smidge of emotion. I mean, I could really give a rat's whiskers about the characters. Okay, I'm impressed by the author, but I put the book down each night without any sense of loss. I'm fine with breaking that emotional connection with the characters. They just don't mean anything to me. I know I'm supposed to be "wowed" by the author's credentials, and they are jaw-dropping. But what I really, really want to know is...does he care about anything other than proving to me how darn smart he is?

4 comments:

Nicole O'Dell said...

great post!

I'm really sorry about your mom.

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

Nicole, what a sunny smile you have. Thank you for your sympathy.

Feeding the Grey Cells said...

So sorry to hear about your mother. You are a real trooper to put those "negatives" that life throws your way into some positive activity.

MareF said...

You and your family are in my thoughts.