Joanna Campbell Slan has moved, searching new blog...

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A Crafty Type of Girl




That's what my friend Rosemary Harris calls me. You know how you meet someone and even without a lot of chatter, you recognize a "kindred spirit"? Yep. That's how I feel about Ro. She's very elegant, very smart and you can almost see the wheels clicking as she listens because she's REALLY tuned in and thoughtful. (The page above is a "virtual" cupcake from me to Ro. Enjoy!)

Ro is celebrating her new book The Big Dirt Nap. Nab it now--I predict it will sell out quickly! Go to http://www.amazon.com/Big-Dirt-Nap-Business-Mysteries/dp/0312369689/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234974099&sr=8-1

And even though she's incredibly busy, she found time to allow me the honor of guest blogging on at Jungle Red Writers. I wrote about our common love of dogs. Check it out at





Now that blog post initiated a response from Jan, who said she'd really like to get into scrapbooking. And Ro was a bit surprised, I think, when she saw my scrapbook layouts. I brought them to Love Is Murder where Ro and I were on a panel. I had a hunch that a lot of our audience would be unfamiliar with what modern scrapbooking looks like. I remember the first time I saw pages which had been published in Memory Makers, the scrapbook magazine. My jaw dropped. You see, the publication process flattens out pages (of course, since it's translating them from 3-dimensions to 2), and often alters the colors. So the first time you see real pages in real life, well, it can be a bit of a shock.

So, Jan, here are some of my most recent pages. I've been teaching classes on doodling, and these were created specifically to show different ways to use pen marking on layouts. I hope you like them!

PS You do know you can follow me now on twitter, right? I post journaling prompts regularly. If you are a scrapbooker or a diarist or someone who needs a nudge with his/her writing, they might be useful. Go to twitter.com/joannaslan and click FOLLOW under my name.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Rosemary is wonderful!
The Big Dirt Nap is an excellent read, as is her first: Pushing Up Daisies. I have suggested these to many patrons at the library who are also not huge fans.